Tuesday, February 14, 2017

The Color Construction


Although it may be an obvious choice I think the piece that sticks the most of me in regards of color is "The Identity Repairman," "New Rules of the Road" is a close second, but when I think about the use of color my mind comes back to this piece if only because it specifically addresses the idea of an evolving identity because of one's skin. Because in this instance, "Black" or any of the terms listed (see: African, slave, negro, etc.) all stand in for an identity built around the constructs of race in regards to a color; the usage of this duality is especially interesting considering the history surrounding the connotation of the Black race because of Black skin. In this poem, the color - which is used to dehumanize a race - is reconstructed through a historical timeline (African, pre slavery; Slave, Negro, Reconstruction Era; Colored, Civil Rights) in reference to a particular identity and there's a juxaposition between two of the explicit shades: "colored" an identity that is perhaps not yours and that you don't want to be and "Black" a self declaration of what color you are. Ellis writes that in a colored identity, "I am weary of working to prove myself equal" but as Black "my heart is a fist, my fist is a heart, I fix my Blackness."  Which is an important distinction as we come full circle back to "African American" which socially speaking - a lot of Black folks don't accept as a term. It's in many ways a very simple way of reacting to the realities of racial markings because of one's color instead of one's race, the history of this people does not begin with color (as evident by the first stanza) but it certainly ends with it. 

4 comments:

  1. Hello,

    As I read through the response for this week, I noticed that many of them focus on color in relation to race and identity. I too noticed the many references to race within the poems but became a bit more fascinated with the use of (literal) color itself. After reading a few responses, including yours, one thing I wish I did in my response was to look at the history behind these colors. "Blackness" "Colored" - these words that were historically used to describe a group of people has a history to them (outside of their association to race) and I find it interesting to think about how we got from black as a natural, dark color to black as a descriptor of a person/people. Thinking about how color is used brings to mind your observation that color is used as a way to dehumanize a race, but the beauty of color is that we can also use it to build up a race...the power of color (in all contexts) is super impressive and would be nice to see color used as a means of positive empowerment...I know it is out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent and compacted annotation of the two poems which do stand out as the clearest examples of what the assignment directed. This statement, "surrounding the connotation of the Black race because of Black skin. In this poem, the color - ... is used to dehumanize a race" clearly illustrates the strategy of racism and its minimizing effect. The only departure I make is with the terminology Black "race." I'm with Toni Morrison who insists, to paraphrase: race isn't real, racism is. We're one race: human. This leaning in no way diminishes the many variations, ethnic traits and characteristics which contribute to our identities. Sometimes the "forces that be" have sought to define the Other identity chiefly to fulfill self-serving economic and colonizing oppression.
    This is the identity battle we are engaged in: what is the authentic self in the midst of so much "Othering" and such intense external pressures? Now I've strayed and will save that discussion possibly for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think by "Black race" I more or less meant the African race or...the enslaved race. I wasn't trying to differentiate human beings but more so present the argument that's been given over time. But more than that, for me personally, it's easier to say "Black race" than enslaved...perhaps a better alternative would be to say "Black people" we can all be human beings yet still be different people.

      But I understand your point.

      Delete