Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Blog #1 (Jan. 24th) Reflection on P&P


Of Poetry and Protest (Pg. 1-62)

Camille Dungy

History is something that (I feel) appears in most writing – sometimes subtle, sometimes blatant, but always present. The first thing that came out of the reading this week is the idea that history in poetry has a look, a feel, a color and a presence. When reading the poems, I saw glimpses of how that history felt for these writers, how that history appeared, how it emotionally impacted them, and many other reflections of reality. Gender is part of the history these writers place in their poetry, as well as race, racism, personal experience, time, etc…

Camille Dungy’s poem, “Conspiracy”, gives readers a sort of inner dialogue that is appreciated. We see insecurities that other people can relate to:

“There is a stroller in the garage, but I don’t want to be taken
as my own child’s nanny (Half the time I know my fears are mine alone.)”

“I walk every day with my daughter and wonder
what is happening in the other people’s minds. Half the time
I am filled with terror. Half the time I am full of myself.”

The connection between poem and gender is obvious, but there are other narratives at work. Being weary of the label “nanny” is interesting as it works with the narrative of a culture that pre-judges and it works with the narrative of race as women of color are often thought of as nannies. These lines hit me, particularly because when I think about my bi-racial child, I too wonder if I will be seen as mother or as something else – these same insecurities that she deals with has crossed my mind occasionally.

Thomas Sayers Ellis

“The Identity Repairman” is shrouded in history and the progression of time. Throughout history, black identities have been named, as is pointed out in Ellis’ poem: African, Slave, Negro, Colored, Black, African-American. These names carry weight, and that weight includes identities placed on black people as well are our struggle to define identity for ourselves.

SLAVE

America is where
I became an animal.
American is where
I became a nigger.

NEGRO

Trapped here
in Segregation.
Trapped here
in Integration.

COLORED

I am weary of working
To prove myself equal
I will use education
To make my children superior.

I appreciated the way identity was laid out in this poem in particular. Through the use of naming and language, Ellis exposes an interesting narrative of black history. In saying, “I became” Ellis uses the foundation that the “SLAVE” began as something else and was turned into an animal and a nigger once in America. Highlighting segregation and integration (with a capital S and I) brings to light the fact that these are established ideals and functioning systems that are at work in our society. More than that, “Trapped here” builds a disconnect between a physical place and an emotional/psychological one. Not only is the “NEGRO” trapped in a physical place that is not welcoming, but s/he is also trapped in a psychological and emotional place that is forced upon them (and is not welcome).

Interesting enough, when Ellis moves into the naming of “COLORED”, we move into language that is more forceful and one in which the speaker is owning their status. Specifically, “I am weary” and “I will use education” are two statements that own the emotional impact of being colored during this moment in history, but it also gives the first glimpse of hope and positivity as education is placed in this stanza as a weapon of empowerment and change.


These elements hit me when I read this poem, especially the feeling that this poem can be linear and non-linear at the same time. We see the linear narrative that mimics the historical moments of black history and racism, but then we also see the non-linear narrative that lies underneath. These names are spread and recycled throughout history, in many different patterns. The fears, hopes, forced oppressions and societal disappointments are also recycled and reappear throughout the past and recent history. The simplicity of the form of the poem reminds me of how easily these issues reappear throughout history, but the complexity of the words and ideas remind me of how deeply complicated these issues are. Throughout all of that, there is a constant theme of history that keeps the narrative functional and relatable to me. 

2 comments:

  1. Greetings Angela,
    i appreciate your take and your emphasis on two particular poets. You illustrate how the lay-outs of the poems are tied to the content and the emotional impact of the beats. Ellis is disappointed, angry, seeing history repeats its worst stuff. Dungy is creating a narrative that illustrates a private narrative that inspires questions of how one is seen. Ellis is defiant, Dungy sad, disappointed --one accuses, the other wonders...i appreciate how you bring that to light along with the intrinsic historical ties, well done
    e

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on your note about history having texture in poetry and how that's made by different levels of communication, like from writer to personal history or from writer to broader history. I don't think I've thought of gender as an explicit part of history before. It's much easier to see this relation in the case of race, like exactly how Thomas Sayers Ellis lays it out in "The Identity Repairman". It's a really persistent point with this poetry that history/identity matter how you express "The fears, hopes, forced oppressions and societal disappointments are also recycled and reappear throughout the past and recent history", which makes it all feel very personal.

    ReplyDelete